Avocado nutrition facts are hard to believe! How could something this yummy and beautiful that possesses such a creamy and pleasing texture also be such a power packed super fruit? Super fruit? It only contains one gram of sugar per serving , and yet it still gets to be put into the wonderful, colorful, nutrient dense category of a healthy, tasty, mouth watering fruit. It’s beautiful green color practically dances before our hungry eyes, tempting us to partake of all of it’s deliciously, wonderfully, and definitely desirably gift wrapped health benefits. We would eat them without all of the benefits because an avacodo is just that good, avocado nutrition and all.
There have been so many different ideas about what fats we should eat, but the research continues to prove that we do need healthy fat in our diets, and the avocado nutrition is packed with heathly monounsaturated fats, along with other foods that we will happily discuss in this category. Monunsaturated fats are easily burned for energy and can help our bodies in so many wonderful ways.
Did you know that the avocado is currently being studied for its benefits on many of the common ailments and diseases that can become a problem during our lifetimes? I don’t know about you, but I am planning on doing all I can to ward off things like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, poor nutrient absorption, and many others. We can help our bodies stay strong and healthy by following healthy eating habits, exercising, sleeping, having healthy relationships, not smoking, and really breaking the stress habit. You can bet I will keep on eating the avocado!
There is currently a study going on to see how much the avocado can help in the treatment and prevention of diabetes and pre diabetes. Good fats may help prevent those nasty blood sugar spikes that can arise after eating. Avocado contains both healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber, (1/2 has 3.5 grams of both soluble and insoluble fiber), so a serving really slows down digestion and may help insulin resistance.
Good news is also coming out of a study on the benefits to cardiovascular disease! They are finding that the mighty avocado nutrition is a worthy opponent to the bad LDL cholesterol, knocking it back a whopping 22 percent, while it is a great promoter of the healthy HDL cholesterol, raising it am impressive 11 percent! That’s amazing! And wonderful news for our hearts!
Studies are also proving that the avocado is not only nutrient dense by it’s own right, but it can aid in the absorption of other foods that we eat. So pack a salad full of a variety of great foods, add some avocado, and feel the difference as your body absorbs and uses all of the nutrition provided in your super food choices:)
Since avocado nutrition includes a healthy dose of good fats, you can easily use it place of unhealthy saturated fats. You can even use it to replace the oils used in baking! One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is to blend part of an avocado into my favorite green smoothie. Not only does it make my smoothie way more creamy, I get the added added nutrition and myriad of health benefits!
Avocado Nutrition Facts
- 1/2 of a medium avocado has about 130 nutrient packed calories. This is a good food choice.
- An avocado provides about 20 minerals that your body needs.
- Contains 13 grams of good carbs.
- 10 grams of fiber
- 22 grams of good fat in a whole avocado.
- 3 grams protein per serving
- More potassium than 2 bananas (banana nutrition facts here)
- More than 20 essential vitamins and minerals
- Oleic acid helps your brain know that you are full:)
- An avocado at meal time helps your body absorb the nutrients from all of your food.
- Slows digestion, preventing blood sugar spikes.
- Excellent source of folate, which helps prevent birth defects and lowers triglycerides.
13 Ways to Enjoy Avocado
- Enjoy it by the slice!
- Grill by the slice or by the half in unrefined virgin coconut oil.
- Mash and use as a sandwich spread.
- Slice and add to your favorite healthy salad.
- Cut in half and fill center with and egg and cook for breakfast.
- Add to any omelet.
- Add to your chicken salad.
- Add to tacos and fajitas.
- Add to your favorite smoothie for a creamy texture and fresh taste.
- Make your favorite guacamole and serve with fresh veggie sticks!
- Toss into your favorite cold bean salad.
- Slice and add to your burger for a bust of freshness.
- Use your imagination! The sky is the limit!
It seems that the mighty avocado nutrition packs a punch as a powerhouse super food! I plan to eat them everyday! Maybe we will have to move to a tropical paradise where we can grow them in our own back yard! The ahhhhvocado.:) Enjoy!