Today is the perfect day for homemade hot chocolate! You can buy all kinds of instant hot chocolate that’s ready to stick in a microwave or pour hot water over, but none of it will beat a smooth, steaming mug of homemade hot chocolate (or as many of you may call it, hot cocoa) with a handful of mini marshmallows thrown in!
There’s just something about a warm steaming mug of hot cocoa on a cold day (or even not so cold day) that is the ultimate comfort food. And if you make it yourself, it can have pretty good health value! Of course, there’s sugar – but come on, this is a treat, not a dieting attempt.
Best Hot Chocolate Recipe
You don’t have to go crazy on some complicated hot chocolate recipe that takes a day to fix and 3 trips to the grocery store to get everything; and that’s why we’d like to share with you our 3 most favorite (and easy to make!) hot chocolate recipes. We also know that often you don’t want to make gallons of your favorite hot chocolate drink, so this first recipe is for one serving. If you want to make several, just multiply everything in the recipe by how many people you’d like to serve with your delicious hot cocoa treat.
:: How to Make Hot Chocolate ::
1 Simple Hot Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup skim evaporated milk (like Pet or Carnation)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl, and stir up until they’re combined
- Pour the water into a different bowl or cup (microwave-safe)
- Microwave the water for about a minute, or until it boils
- Pour the hot water over the cocoa mixture, stirring until smooth
- In another cup, microwave the evaporated milk for a minute
- Pour the warm milk into the mug with the water & cocoa
- Add 3/4 tsp. of vanilla extract, and stir
- Throw in some mini-marshmallows, and enjoy!
If you love your coffee & chocolate together, try our awesome mocha hot chocolate recipe:
2 Mocha Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup instant coffee powder (like a dark roast Starbucks Via)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan, add a cup of cold water, and heat on low.
- Whisk the ingredients until powder is dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the milk and half-and-half to the mixture, whisking them all together until they’re hot but not boiling.
- Serve it up! This one make several servings, but that’s okay, because everyone will probably want seconds!
And now, for my personal favorite…
3 Spicy Hot Chocolate
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk (any kind, doesn’t have to be dairy. Almond, Soy, etc. all work great!)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili powder
- Heat the milk up in a pan over medium heat. Heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Add the 4 oz. of chopped unsweetened chocolate and the 1/2 cup sugar, and stir together until blended
- Add 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, and the 1/4 tsp. of chili powder, and stir, bringing to a simmer.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Favorite Hot Chocolate Recipe
These delicious hot chocolate recipes are some of our favorites, but feel free to experiment and try different flavors. It’s hard to mess up homemade hot chocolate, and you can easily flavor it to your personal taste. Just don’t ever boil the milk!